Applications for the Barry Marshall Travel Awards are NOW OPEN.
Please read the eligibility criteria and apply using the downloadable application form within the ‘Apply Now’ button. Once completed please submit your form via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due close of business 11 November 2019.
In 1983 Professor Barry Marshall AC, Patron of the Spinnaker Health Research Foundation and Nobel Prize Laureate, received a travel grant from the then Medical Advisory Committee of Fremantle Hospital, while a young registrar at that hospital. This grant gave Prof Marshall the opportunity to present his preliminary findings on the Helicobacter pylori research which ultimately earned him and his colleague Dr Robin Warren AC a joint Nobel Prize. Prof Marshall credits this travel grant as providing the means by which he was able to convince his peers of the significance of their discovery and, ultimately, led to simple, lifesaving treatments for peptic ulcers and stomach cancer.
The Barry Marshall Travel Award has been established to pay tribute to Prof Marshall’s great achievements and to foster a culture of inspiration, innovation and information sharing. The awards are generously supported by Prof Barry Marshall AC and Mrs Adrienne Marshall, Perth Convention Bureau ASPIRE Awards and Spinnaker Health Research Foundation.
Successful applicants will be invited to attend the annual Spinnaker Awards Ceremony (December) and the ASPIRE Awards Ceremony (June) to celebrate their success.
- The grants are open to health professionals and medical researchers, including clinicians, allied health staff and scientists, based at a campus of South Metropolitan Health Service (SMHS) or collaborating universities and health research institutes within the south metropolitan region of Perth
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate how their research benefits the community of south metropolitan Perth and demonstrably impacts, influences or informs treatment and patient care in the hospitals of SMHS
- The applicant must be able to demonstrate confirmation of the invitation to present at the elected conference or meeting and acceptance of the abstract by the conference organiser
- Travel must be completed within 6 months of the date of award
- Preference will be given to applicants who can demonstrate intention to undertake activity in addition to the conference or meeting attendance such as visiting other institutions, engagement with conference organisers and peak bodies in the region they visit
- Where possible, applicants will be asked to facilitate connections between the conference and meeting organisers and/or peak professional body in the case the conference could be held in WA in the future
- Preference will be given to those who have not previously received a Barry Marshall Travel Grant
- Each travel grant is to the maximum of $5,000 and only one can be awarded to any applicant each year
- Grants can only be applied to the cost of attending the conference or meeting. This includes economy class airfare, accommodation (for conference nights only) and registration fees. The grant does not extend to per diems or additional travel expenses such as transfers and personal expenses (including entertainment and alcohol)
- The recipient must provide all receipts of incurred costs for reimbursement. Pre-payments can be arranged where possible via invoice
- Any unused funds are to be returned to Foundation
- A total amount of $20,000 is available each year and Spinnaker reserves the right to not award the full amount of the grant fund if insufficient eligible applications are received.
- Each application will be assessed on the scientific merit of both the work that is to be presented and the conference
- Applicants will be required to demonstrate how they are/will apply the findings of their research at the conference and also how it will be both shared and applied here in Western Australia
- Demonstration of how the proposed travel will benefit SMHS as well as the significance within Western Australia
- Demonstration of the benefit the applicant anticipates for themselves and their future research
- Demonstration of an accurate and comprehensive itemised budget with supporting documents (such as registration form, quoted airfares, accommodation quote))
- Prior conference presentation of this and other research relative to opportunity will be taken into consideration
Reporting & Approvals
- The recipient is required to submit a 1-2 page lay-language report plus photo/s about their experience, impact and any collaboration developed. This report may be included in the communication materials such as annual review, website or social media by both Perth Convention Bureau and Spinnaker Health Research Foundation
- The recipient must provide all receipts of incurred costs for reimbursement (pre-payments can be arranged where possible upon provision of invoice)
- If invited, the recipient is expected to present at a Spinnaker Health Research Foundation event for the community, researchers and/or supporters
- The recipient must acknowledge the Spinnaker Health Research Foundation at all presentations and in all publications of his or her research
- All other regulatory requirements for travel and leave of absence are the responsibility of the applicant and at the discretion of the employer. Spinnaker Health Research Foundation provides no guarantee or endorsement for this or any other employment matter. Applicants are strongly encouraged to ensure all approvals are in place before applying.
- The grant rounds will be offered every three months, with funds carried to the next round should no eligible grants be awarded
- The 1st round will open on 9 October 2019 and announcements of each subsequent round will be advertised on the Spinnaker website and via communication channels
- Applications will only be accepted on the official application form, available for download at the top and bottom of this page
- Please refer to the Spinnaker website for further application guidelines, including current dates for each round
- Applicant details, as per the application form, will be shared with Perth Convention Bureau as part of the ASPIRE Awards program
For further information please contact: